Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Summer of Chevron

Since Chris and I have been married, there has been one piece of furniture that we have never purchased - a coffee table.  Before kids, we thought that it cut our apartment living room in half.  After kids, we saw it as one less things for them to run into (although they still got that classic childhood experience of running full speed into a corner at some of our family's homes)Well, we are now living in a house, and our kids are old enough and tall enough that their risk of poking an eye out has mostly passed.  I know - never say never, but, nonetheless, I started looking for a coffee table to fill in our living room a bit.  Since the price of a new coffee table is outrageous, I decided to look at garage sales for an inexpensive used one that I could refinish.  A few weeks later, we were at a friend's house for a play date and I noticed a coffee table in their garage sale pile.  She graciously gave it to me for free, and my project was born.

All of our living room furniture is black, but I wanted to do something with a little spunk.  I keep seeing all these adorable chevron patterns, so this was what we decided to do.  With the help of my amazingly talented Mom, we sanded, primed, painted, taped, and sealed our very first chevron coffee table. Here are some pictures from the beginning to the end of our project:


Before sanding


 



After sanding

Painting the black base (we also bought a children's table and chair to refinish)


 After taping - probably the most time consuming part!


Painting the chevron stripes


The finished product!


The finished product in our living room


I loved the way it turned out, and I'm thinking there might be some t.v. trays that need to be refinished!  What do you think?  Do you have any projects this summer that you've been working on?








2 comments:

  1. Great idea. You are so creative. They say the creative gene comes from the fathers side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!!! Come to AR and do some DIY with me! :)

    ReplyDelete