Sunday, January 23, 2011

There's No Place Like Home (Part One)

Anyone who knows me well knows that The Wizard of Oz is my favorite movie. For those of you unfamiliar with its plot, it tells the story of a girl named Dorothy who, like most young people, feels like there is a better life waiting for her away from home. With the help of a tornado and a badly hinged window pane, she is transported to the land of Oz. However, at the end of her journey she realizes, famously, that, "there's no place like home."

In addition to our affinity for sparkly, red high heels, Dorothy and I share a love of home. For nine years I have lived away from my home in Detroit, Michigan, and I miss it. Many may think this is a ridiculous thought because, as most know, Detroit has not fared well with the collapse of the auto industry and economy. However, it will forever be my home and these next posts will be an homage to what is good about Detroit and why I love it.

Without further adieu, here are things that I love about Detroit:

The Sports
Whether we are watching the Red Wings win or groaning over another Lion's, Tiger's, or Piston loss, we Detroiters love our sports. If you ever visit Detroit, I highly recommend taking in a sporting event. You can visit the Wings at historic Joe Louis arena or enjoy a summer baseball game at the family-friendly Comerica Park. I have yet to personally visit Ford Field (they began and completed construction while I was in college), but my parents tell me it is a nice place to watch the Lions lose. Indeed, Detroit is a sports city through and through.

The Weather

Although I can almost hear the scoffs through the computer screen, Michigan has amazingly beautiful weather. In addition to actually having four seasons (yes, Florida, I am talking to you), those seasons are gorgeous. The summers are warm, dry and perfect for spending time at the park or lake. Spring brings in moderate temperatures and beautiful flowers, and the incredible foliage of the Fall is unmatched. Likewise, Michigan Winter covers the ground with a blanket of white snow and have given me some of my best childhood memories. Sledding, tubing, snowball fights, snowmen, snow angels - you name it, it is always more fun in the snow.

The Culture
Most major cities have a thriving cultural scene, and Detroit is no different. Due to the enormous potential of this section being lengthy, I will limit my exposition to some notable places that I personally enjoy.

One of my favorite places is the Fox Theater, located in the heart of downtown Detroit (incidentally, I have seen the Wizard of Oz there, among other shows). Built in 1928 by William Fox (of movie fame), it is one of the largest theaters in the world today and remains the oldest. The Fox was also the first movie theater in the world to have a built-in speaker system for "talking movies." There is no more spectacular place in Detroit to watch a play, concert, or movie.



Another can't miss is the Motown Historical Museum, located in the house Barry Gordy founded Motown Records and affectionately dubbed "Hitsville USA." Started on an $800 loan, Motown Records produced some of the greatest music of all time. The museum is an amazing collection of memorabilia, history, and music. The highlight of the museum for me was the one-room studio and piano where greats like Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, Smokey Robinson, and the Temptations recorded their songs.



If you love historical museums, you will also love The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in nearby Dearborn. The Henry Ford boasts historical items such as the chair Lincoln was shot in, the car Kennedy was assassinated in, and the bus that Rosa Parks famously sat in when she refused to give up her seat.

Next to the museum is Greenfield Village, quite possibly Emma's favorite spot, second to Nani and Papa's. Greenfield Village, founded by Henry Ford, is an 80-acre site divided into seven historic districts - Railroad Junction, Working Farms, Edison at Work, Porches and Parlors, Liberty Craftworks, Main Street, and Henry Ford's Model T. Each district features docents dressed in period costume to guide you through. Some interesting places to visit include the Ford family farm, the Wright Brother's original bicycle shop where they built the first airplane, and a glass blowing shop, where you can actually take a class and make your own glass flower (my mom's turned out beautiful). If you ask her, however, Emma will tell you that her favorite parts of Greenfield Village are its working carousel, built in 1913, and the genuine steam engine train.

Other places worth mentioning are: The Detroit Opera House, The Detroit Zoo, The Detroit Institute of Art, and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.

The Food
For a girl who loves to eat, Detroit is tops. Italian, Mexican, American, Greek, Arabic, Cantonese, Chinese, Vietnamese - you name it, Detroit has it. Of course, if you want to hit up the local Olive Garden or Outback, we have those too, but most of my favorite places to eat are small, family owned establishments with delectable cuisine. Some of my personal favorites include China Moon on Harper Avenue (where you can actually distinguish that the meat is chicken), Luigi's, an Italian eatery owned by actual Italians with two locations to choose from, and Kirby's Coney Island (the best for those BLT and fry cravings).

The Auto Industry
Most Detroiters are shaking their heads as they read this heading because the failure of the auto industry has been the bane of Detroit's existence in recent history. And while foreign automakers are sure giving us a run for our money, the auto industry's history and heart will always be in Detroit. We recently attended the North American International Auto Show at Cobo Hall, and it was amazing. Maybe it is the American in me, but I was glad to see Ford with the largest and most impressive display (in my opinion). The auto industry will most likely never return to its former glory days, but it was good to see that they are trying to make a comeback, which can only benefit the city.




Here are some more pictures from the NAIAS:




______________________________

Thus concludes Part One. Look for Part Two coming soon - and believe me, I have saved the best for last!


1 comment: