Monday, May 2, 2011

Remembering September 11, 2001

On September 11, 2001, I watched the television as a plane ripped through the second tower of the World Trade Center. I sat in disbelief as I saw people jumping to their death to avoid the agony of being burned to death, and cried when the towers collapsed with thousands still inside. Later, reports came of the tragedies at the Pentagon and Pennsylvania. That day and its images will forever be seared in my mind. I will never forget the overwhelming sense of loss and anger at what was such an egregious and vicious attack by a group halfway around the world.

So, Sunday night, as I watched the news reports of Osama Bin Laden's death by military action, several thoughts flooded my mind:

  • A tremendous sense that earthly justice had been done. After nine years of hunting the man behind that horrific day, his perverted and extreme beliefs caught up with him. It was not shocking that such a violent man would meet such a violent death, but I do believe that earthly justice was allowed by the Lord. This is not always the case. We see this everyday - there are still liars, cheats, and murderers who seemingly go unpunished. However, God uses authorities to carry out justice on earth. Romans 13:4 says, "They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

  • Sadness over sin. This being said, I do not think it appropriate to raucously rejoice over the death of an individual - even one as evil as Osama Bin Laden. I do rejoice that his death brings an end to his murderous actions, but I am reminded that Bin Laden was a slave to sin. Were it not for the grace of God in my life in my birthplace, my family, and my salvation, I could have easily been viewing the events of September 11 with the same perspective as Bin Laden. The fact is that if it weren't for God's common grace and supernatural work in our lives, we would all be completely ruled by sin and hatred.

  • Thankfulness to our men, women, and families of our Military. Words really cannot convey my appreciation to all who serve in our military and their families who support and serve at home. You have given your time, service, skills, and lives to protect and defend our country and we are indebted to you for your service.

  • Prayer for those whose lives were shattered. As awful as September 11 was for the country and the world, there are those who lost their mothers, fathers, sons, and daughters whose grief we cannot comprehend. 3,000 people total lost their lives that day in the two towers, the Pentagon, the four planes that crashed, and the service men and women that were first responders. For their family and friends, life will never be the same. Those who are in Christ grieve with hope, but there are so many still without any. My prayer is that those who are without hope would find it in Christ and that everyone who is grieving would be comforted by our great God. Let us also continue to pray for the over 6,000 people who were injured in the attacks and sickened by the aftermath.

September 11, 2001, was not just a sad and tragic day - it defined a generation. It changed our view completely on security and to this day affects so many aspects of our lives. Emma and Ethan will one day learn about September 11, 2001 in their schoolbooks and no doubt watch video footage, but they will never experience it the same way Chris and I did (and I am grateful for that). So, as I contemplate the death of Osama Bin Laden on Sunday, I cannot help but feel like a chapter has ended. I am thankful that the man responsible behind that murderous day has not only met his earthly judgement, but has met eternal judgement before our Father. No doubt, terrorism did not die with Bin Laden. There will be injustice and murder until the day when our Redeemer comes to reconcile all things to himself. I look forward to that day, and, until then, pray that those who are lost would be found in Him.











The Pentagon Memorial in Washington DC. The benches pointing to the Pentagon represent those who lost their lives in the plane. The benches pointing away from the Pentagon represent those who died in the Pentagon.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Keep Writing.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete