Friday, May 20, 2011

This Too Shall Pass

This past Wednesday began like most Wednesdays. I spent most of the day with playing with Emma and Ethan and, after their nap, got Ethan a bath. While I was dressing him, I suddenly collapsed with agonizing pain in my left side. I called for Emma and told her to "go get daddy", which she promptly did (love my little helper). A few minutes later, I was still in pain, but able to stand, so I sent Chris off to church thinking that the pain would eventually go away.

No sooner had he pulled into the church parking lot when he got a phone call from me telling him to come back home. I was back on the floor, in tears, with Emma rubbing my forehead telling me everything was going to be all right because "Daddy is on his way home." By the grace of God, Ethan was napping and stayed asleep until Chris got home. So, as Chris arrived home, we left the kids with his sister (and later our neighbors), and headed to the emergency room.

Our last emergency room experience was agonizing and I really was not looking forward to sitting in a waiting room for three hours, but God was good and within 15 minutes of walking in the door, I was in a bed being re-hydrated by IV and 10 minutes after that I was seen by a doctor. As expected, he suggested a CAT scan, and, in the meantime, gave me some major drugs to help with the pain (which explains my smile in the picture). Unfortunately, those drugs made me itch terribly, but a hefty dose of Benadryl took care of that. Needless to say, by the time we left, I was pretty loopy.

The CAT scan results came back and we were so happy to hear that nothings major was wrong - my appendix, gall bladder, and intestines looked fine. So, what was the reason for the pain? Two words I never though I would hear - kidney stones. It really was the last thing we expected to hear, but the doctor told us the intense pain I had felt was the passing of a kidney stone. The symptoms were textbook (I always liked school), there was blood in my urine, and I had been severely nauseous the last few days. He also said I have another kidney stone in the same kidney, but that it is very small and will likely leave me alone - if the drugs hadn't made me happy, that certainly did!

All in all, it was one exciting Wednesday! I am so thankful for how we saw God's providence through those who watched our children and to the doctors, nurses, and staff in the emergency room! I am constantly reminded how blessed I am to live in a country where there is access to competent and compassionate medical care. I am especially thankful to my wonderful husband, Chris, who has been my biggest friend, encourager, and nurse these past few days and to my Emma who was alert, calm, and amazingly sweet even when her mommy was crying on the floor in pain. I am still moderately nauseous and sore, but the doctor says that should subside within a few days. As the old saying goes, "this too shall pass", and for me, quite literally!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow! Glad to hear you are feeling better & are on the mend. My prayers are with you & the fam as you recover. Kidney stones...who would have thought?? ;)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete